Like many people, I’m totally into crock pot meals now that the cold weather has arrived. It’s so nice to know that at the end of the day, you have a warm, and hopefully healthy meal to settle down to.
When I cook in my crock pot, I tend to cook in large batches, using simple and budget-friendly ingredients. I freeze leftovers for another time, sometimes for a straight up leftover meal, say, if it is something like soup or chili. One thing I’ve been experimenting with is making a dish that is a blank canvas for leftovers reloaded.
Like many of us, the afternoons and evenings can sometimes get away from me. Even if I do have a meal plan, sometimes the hecticness of homework and after school activities get the best of me. It’s so nice to know that I have a back up if I need it. Also, I’m perpetually worried about “lean times” and I feel good knowing I will still be able to feed my family healthy meals in those times.
One of the first recipes I tested was crock pot chicken fajitas. We love fajitas here, as they are pretty versatile as far as everyone being able to prepare them how they like them, and they are very versatile as far as leftovers. The usual suspects of the past are fajita quesadillas and chicken chili. This time, though, I decided to reload them as chicken Philly cheesesteaks, and chicken tortilla soup.
Below is the basic recipe for the fajitas. Adjust amounts and seasonings to your tastes and to the size of your family.
Crock Pot Chicken Fajitas
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: all day
Servings: Enough for 3 meals
- chicken breasts
- onions, sliced
- sweet peppers, sliced
- garlic cloves, chopped
- lemon or lime juice
- chili powder
- salt and pepper
- Throw it all in the crock pot, set it, and forget it!
- After fajitas have cooled, divide them into freezer bags or containers for freezing.
- *NOTE! Do NOT discard the liquid after cooking. Include it in the container for tortilla soup!*
For the Chicken Phillies:
- cheese, or basic cheese sauce
- Heat chicken, peppers, onions (sautee mushrooms first if you are using them).
- Toast rolls (optional) and melt cheese on them.
- Add chicken mixture and eat!
For the Chicken Tortilla Soup:
- chicken stock
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- frozen corn
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- cilantro, avocado, cheese, tortilla chips or strips
- Chop the chicken, onion, and peppers into soup-sized pieces.
- Add all ingredients to a pot, heat, and serve.
See, isn’t that easy?